Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Quilting Show AfterShock

HELLO HELLO - I'm just home from the National Quilting Association Show in Columbus, GA. I saw fabulous quilts, met some terrific ladies, and took a great two-day class on quilt judging. And, I had a wonderful opportunity to reflect on the role of quilting in my life.


First, here is some eye candy for you. Oh my were these quilts fabulous. I love this little mini, sort of a quilt in a quilt...



And this next one is made of 12,000 hexagons... and what great color.













isn't the color in this next one, inspired by a mandala, fabulous??







this was my personal favorite - I swear I knew if I could just touch this quilt, that it would feel like real feathers!


So now, to the reflecting...


Going to a national show is a very humbling experience... you walk down aisles and aisles of quilts that are made at an unbelievable level of quality and artistry. You reflect a bit on the origins of quilting... and where it is today... and whether some of these works are quilts at all, or if they have gone over the boundary and are really tapestries. You imagine the incredible amount of time some of these works took to create...


And then you take a class in judging... and try as you might, it seems mostly about pointing out flaws - because, after all, that's how you eliminate the number down to the winners.


I discovered that I want to hug every quilt, not critique it... I want to talk about the incredible creative spirit, the choice of colors that reflects the quilter's passion...


And I discovered what I already knew a bit; that i'd rather sit and sew, flaws and all, than work so very carefully to achieve perfect points...


So - the class was wonderful - and now I am reflecting - reflecting on what I want quilting to be in my life - both now, and later when I retire...


It's all good...


And congratulations to all these fabulous quilters.


Kate













No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...