Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The "Staring" Phase

Hi there...

Several people have asked how a linen quilt is born, so I thought I would take you along on a journey.

I do use the word 'born' purposely - I don't think I "plan" or "design" it...  rather, I serve as a midwife.

This is my next 'delivery'  : 


It's a gorgeous piece of Madeira linen, probably from the 1930s, probably made in Portugal.  Madeira linen later became very popular and was eventually overproduced for the tourist trade - there are some rather poor examples from that period.  But this one has the grace and elegance of an earlier work. 

It's all wrinkled, sorry - no need to iron it yet.  I just got it from England, on ebay... 

Step One?   Staring... I will just leave it on this table, and stare at it for a few days.  I will try to think about the need to enhance the original needlework, not to detract from it...  and I will think about the need to balance details and larger designs, and I will think about colors of thread, and of backing fabric.

I will not think about how long this will take - that's simply inconsequential. 

Let me show you some of the beautiful embroidery and cutwork:





After I have stared at it for a bit, I will try some different colors behind it and see what looks good - I'll take some photos to share !

Have a great day, hopefully finding a few moments to quilt or sew!


Kate

1 comment:

Karen said...

I still haven't started mine, but I still get inspired by your work. Maybe 2015 will be the year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...