Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

An Alternative to Drinking and Gambling????

Hi all... I'm still sewing away on Bonnie Hunter's "Roll, Roll, Cotton Bowl" quilt - somehow I must have miscounted, and came up short of 'parts' - so am sewing a few more units to finish up - maybe this weekend.

Meanwhile, I have been coloring on this design... inspired by a wool quilt from the 1880s that is in the Victoria and Albert Museum. The original quilt was made by a soldier!!

I don't really know how big this will get - I just keep taping on more graph paper as it grows... but I'm having lots of fun...



In the article about the original quilt, it said that during the 1880s, soldiers were encouraged to take up quilting AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO DRINKING AND GAMBLING!!!!!

NOW I KNOW WHY WE QUILT!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kate

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Hubby was teasing me the other day about how much time I was spending in the sewing room and I told him it keeps me outta the tavern.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...