Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

That Fabulous Time of Year

Hi all - and welcome to spring in the life of a professor: academic ceremonies...


This is just the best time of the year - happy families, smiling students, beautiful music... it just does not get any better.


As a teacher, I know my life intersects with people - sometimes I forget that these individuals have complex lives - they have children, they have illnesses, they have - well, situations... Just because they are students, they are not exempt from problems, financial, personal, and more..


So let me tell you one story - last January, one of our students was hit by a car on campus - she was terribly injured, and we were told she would not survive - head trauma. Weeks later we learned that she pulled through... and then I lost track of what happened to her, and did not know whether she returned to school or not.


Well, Saturday morning we had a lovely ceremony for the Honors students - my role was to put medals on lovely ribbons over the heads of the honors graduates...


As I put one over the student's bowed head, I could not but notice a horrific scar from top to bottom of this young woman's head, hardly hidden by some very short hair...


YEP - IT WAS HER...


SHE GOT BETTER........


SHE GRADUATES WITH HONORS...


HOW BRAVE AND STRONG SHE MUST BE.


I'M GLAD I GOT TO CONGRATULATE HER.


Happy commencement season...


Kate

1 comment:

Elaine Adair said...

This was one wonderful story!!! Thank you. 8-)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...