Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

denim-in-the-box

Well - that's a LOT of DENIM, isn't it???

Well, I have THREE BINS full of it.

These are the legs of jeans - my Linus Project group in Greensboro, North Carolina (where I used to live) was donated about 30 giant boxes of denim by Cone Mills, who makes jeans. THANK YOU, CONE MILLS.
These leg portions are what are used as samples to market the various shades of denim, from the very dark indigo color to the stonewashed, bleached, light blue or even white. And, when the samples are not needed, they are discarded - into the landfill.
So, boxes and boxes of denim were available. I took 6 boxes, and immediately started trimming them down, dividing the front of the leg from the back, and trimming of the top and bottom hems. What is left is this wonderful piece, down the side, with the side hem running in the middle, just for interest. After trimming, I had THREE BOXES - yippee!

Several quilts like this have come from this denim - it's especially great for boys or teenageers... especially those who like all things "country".

And at this point I estimate I can make around 350 more quilts with the amount of denim I have.... YIKES!
Happy Quilting to you......................Kate

2 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow - 350 quilts! You will be VERY busy *grin*

antique quilter said...

wow lucky you I have wanted to make a denim picnic quilt for my DD to have in her car.
I just hate the idea of cutting up jeans that other kids can wear so I keep donating the jeans instead of cutting them up!

great quilt !
Kathie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...