Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

More Linen Quilting

Well, hi - I'm back after a short hiatus to get through the busy time of the year in the Professor's life...

And now, yahoo, it's the summer and although I still work in summer (since I currently hold an administrative post), life is slower, and there are few extra commitments...

SO IT'S TIME TO QUILT, QUILT, AND THEN QUILT SOME MORE.......
First, continuing detail work on this little linen wall hanging.  This is a table runner,  and this is the fun part, detail work...this work does not have a name.  The runner is actually modern, but I just thought it was lovely, and I still think so!

 And then, I did my favorite thing - started something NEW - - yippee.......

This will be the 2nd of my Handkerchief Series... a series of handkerchief linen quilts, each given a Victorian name. 

This one will be called Isabella.  And she has a story..  Do you see the little black embroidery on the hankie?  Well, this is a vintage hankie, probably from the early 1900s.  It is in the style of a mourning hankie... you see, when a lady first went into mourning, she had a solid black hankie - gradually, over a year or so, her dress and her hankie became more white and less black - so, her original hankie would be solid black... then black with white trim... later white with black trim, then white again after the mourning period is over. 
 Isabella is set on a piece of slate gray dupioni silk, in an asymmetrical design that used an art deco stencil.  Lots more work to do on this piece - stay tuned!

oh this is fun, fun !!
And I'm doing a bunch of charity quilts, too!!  I'll show you those in a few days...

Hope everyone is enjoying summer..

Kate


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...