Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

PROGRESS ..... lol




Well, isn't THAT exciting! For those who like "process" - this is about as process as you get... a gigantic pile of fabric that had been washed, and needs to get ironed... photo 1, on the left, was last Sunday - photo 2, on the right , is today... progress! I am determined to get all the fabric off the floor...........grrr...................

It takes longer than expected, because it packs down, and when you start to pull out the fabric, it lifts up the pile, and it GETS BIGGER - yes, i swear it does.


So - let me take this opportunity to answer "why prewash" . Because I like to, simple as that. When I first started seriously quilting, I had a sink near my sewing room that was made of some porous material - I used to soak fabrics in there - and the dye that came out of the fabric would stain the sink... so you could really see how much dye came out. Over a month or two, the sink became black - yes, totally white to totally black. I saw what really washes out of this fabric. And how much it shrinks.


So - now, no fabric goes on my shelves until it is washed, ironed, folded my particular way. Then it is 'prepped' and ready to sew!


Well, that's too much rant for so early on a Sunday morning...


I'm off today to play tour guide for my sister who is visiting - we are doing the Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39, the Sausalito Houseboats... and the famous Lombard Street.... should be great fun!


Happy Weekend to all,


Kate


3 comments:

Marge Gordon said...

I prewash for same reasons you do... but no black sink here, just experience.

Marjorie said...

This has made me realize I have made new rules for myself about pre-washing. I prewash anything that I buy at chain fabric stores and/or buy a yard or more. The quilt for which I used unwashed batiks on white, has made me a believer in Color Catcher's so I no longer panic about using unwashed fabrics.

Pattilou said...

That sounds like so much fun. My brother graduated from chiropractic school there in the 80's and we went and did all the things you're doing today. I would really like to return and do them again. Lovely places.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...