Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Treasures from 1970

Dpes anyone else remember picking out their china pattern? I do so well - going to the jewelry store, going through all the patterns... I chose this one.
It's called Savannah, by Noritake - sweet little green flowers and leaves,with a simple silver band - it matched oh so nicely with my china...



I got pieces of it for high school graduation, and later when I got married (the china lasted longer than that marriage did, thank goodness).

For a few years I used it on holidays - Christmas, Thanksgiving , with all the trimming...
then for about a decade I displayed it in the china cabinet - visible proof that I had "class" - I owned nice things...

And then, about 15 years ago, it went into boxes when we moved, and its been in boxes ever since....

And now I am ready for it to be gone - why, I could fit bins of fabric on the shelves where those china boxes live...

But - have you looked for a good home for previously "fine" things lately? No one wants silver, or china, or crystal... I read an article about how all the baby boomers are getting rid of all this really expensive stuff and no one wants it ...

So - any ideas out there? Don't say sell it on ebay - ebay has pages of this stuff for sale - no bids!

Will I ever want to entertain 8 on good china? Not likely - today I'm more likely to entertain on Chinette than China... in the yard instead of the dining room (that's another thing I might want rid of - that beautiful dining room table...

thoughts???? ideas?????

happy quilting,
Kate

6 comments:

Jay in Nebraska said...

I was left two sets of china by my grandmother...her wedding china and her mother's wedding china. For years they were displayed. Now the newer set is used for every day and the older set is used for seder meals in my house. I couldn't get rid of it. I have a set of 12 in your pattern, and I use it too.

Anonymous said...

My mom insisted that I start a 'hope chest' when I got my first job after high school. The only items that I bought were stainless steel flatware and some towels. I never got married, so I've been using my 'hope chest' items for 40 years now. Thanks for bringing up those years of girls and their 'hope chests'.
cindy

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

When I got married, I had already set up house, I didn't pick out a pattern... or register for that matter... Growing up my grandmother would always give me dishes at christmas, I thought it was so weird, beside they were white with peach flowers on it, (corelle!)
I sold them at a garage sale... but they weren't china of course... But 16 years in marriage I finally got around to picking out my own patter... a VINTAGE set of china to use everyday... and now I've become obsessed in collecting... I have 8 sets now... But let me tell you, I had a PIece from each set that I have, from my mother or grandmother.. for some reason they only had one or two pieces... I completed all their sets...LOL... My kitchen cabinets are full.good luck!

LuAnn said...

Your china post reminds me of a big crocheted doily I saw in my son's garage in the donation pile. I just picked it up and brought it home. I don't think anyone uses doilies in their homes anymore, but I know the hours of crocheting that go into something like that and I couldn't bear to just have it thrown away. So I have it here....but what to do with it? Why not just get your china out and use it for everyday?

Pattilou said...

Reminds me of the Precious Moments figurines I have and tried listing them on ebay--same thing no one wants them. I got my wedding china at a chevron station. Remember those give aways? And the silver is from DH's parents opening a savings account. Mom asked if I wanted any of her silver and it was really hard to not laugh out loud! Those days really are gone aren't they??? Chinet it is!

DangAndBlast! said...

Maybe move down south? Sells pretty well in Houston at resale shops (you'd get commission at the one I have worked at). That's lovely china... looks like what I got for my wedding -- 4 and a half years ago. But we're a bit more formal down here than other parts of the country (not sure where you're from)! Maybe it's a regional thing. I do have one coworker not registering for china, but most people in my social group still do. All else fails, it's useful to pull out when you're having people over and your regular dishes run out!

I also have the silver my grandmother bought herself as a wedding present in 1945 - they weren't making new silver then, so it's from an antique shop, so already old in 1945! A pain to polish (my sister uses a plain set - that's the only cutlery she has; she figures, why not? it's no different than stainless, and goes in the dishwasher, and polishes easy when needed!), but very pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...