Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

I Survived Asilomar Empty Spools Seminar

 Hello everyone !!!!  I'm back from the Asilomar Empty Spools Seminar...

I am exhausted........
My back hurts........
My feet hurt.........
My tummy is upset.............

AND I HAD A WONDERFUL TIME.............

We laughed, we learned, and we had a fabulous time... for five days .

We were in the most gorgeous setting imaginable - Asilomar State Park... gorgeous Pacific coastline just steps from the room - you could hear the ocean at night...
It's a beach... right there outside the window!!!!
 Sally Collins is a FABULOUS teacher - her quilts are, of course, spectacular - but she is very good at making difficult stuff understandable...  this was one of my favorites - you can't tell from this photo, but it's tiny - those blocks are probably four inches apiece... fabulous workmanship.
Day One was drafting - circles, angles,  formulas - but the chance to really create whatever you wanted to make...
Drafting - compasses and protractors

 Days Two - Four were spent selecting fabric and making mock-ups, and playing with mirrors...Can you see that tiny 1/8 inch insert in that orange strips - good work done by my neighbor!
My neighbor's blue block in mockup...
My block - mirror stage
Practicing up on tiny geese and HST's


 SO - Lots of learning later, and here is my "Carolina Star" block....  I have a big draft of what will go around this - so stay tuned...

ASILOMAR ROCKS... 

Happy Quilting to All,

Kate

1 comment:

Sharon Stroud said...

I LOVE the block! Colors make it sparkle. Glad you had a great time! Can't wait to see more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...