Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Mountain of Quilts

Hello everyone:

I had a great privilege this past weekend.  I belong to the Sunshine Yahoo Group - we make kids charity quilts that are sent with Rotary doctors who travel the world repairing facial disfigurations for children - children who have been outcasts because of a simple cleft palette.

We send quilts with them - each kid is wrapped in a colorful quilt during surgery, and sent home with the quilt...  a beautiful program started by my friend Terri, in Maine.

Last weekend, a local Rotary group collected a year's worth of donations from their members and gave them to us...  so I went over to my friend Gail's house to sew on labels... When I walked in I saw this great mountain of quilts................ aren't they fabulous!!!

 and that wasn't all of them.  All total, I think we labeled nearly 300 kids quilts that day - all bright, cheery, and snuggly...  here they are all boxed up and ready to be taken to the Rotary warehouse in San Francisco...
 I often wonder what "kind" of quilter I want to be when I 'grow up"...  Well, I'm not sure where my quilting obsession may lead,  but I do hope I am always a charity quilter - cause doing this kind of work just feels sooo very good..  and what a nice time of year to feel good about charity work...

Happy Holidays -

Kate









2 comments:

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Awesome!~ I knew these docs did this, but didn't know they took quilts. What a great service! Thanks for sharing.

Elaine Adair said...

OMGosh - You've got a lovely bunch of quilts -- that's supposed to be sung to "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"! 8-))

What a great project, with loving results for those kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...