Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

oh my, what have I done??????

Do you volunteer to do work for your Quilt Guild?  Or are you a 'sit in the back' type????

I'm usually one of those people who is always at the center of everything - volunteering, working, running the place. 

But when we moved to California 18 months ago, I took advantage of the opportunity to choose a back-row chair at my Guild, and I have rather enjoyed just being an attendee - making some charity quilts, yes, but not helping 'run the place'. 

Well, yesterday they announced new positions for volunteers, and a special need for someone to pick up an unfinished term as Program Chair...  and before I knew what my arm was doing, it had shot up and I had volunteered....

The pros:  I will get to know the leaders of this great big guild...  (both good and bad, cause now I won't be anonymous);   and I will get to meet our visiting quilter speakers each month and make sure they have everything they need for their presentation!

More pros:  there are so many jobs I really don't want to do - quilt show chairman (oh lord save me);  quilt retreat chair (i'm hiding under the table at the thought)... quilt book librarian (my back aches at the idea)........

The speakers have already been chosen by the person who was originally doing the job -  all I have to do is host them - be sure they are picked up at the airport, delivered to the hotel, fed, etc.  And be sure their AV works...  and their quilts get nicely hung up.  And introduce them - that part will be the most fun.  

So - I know I really don't have time to do this - but I am going to do it anyway!!!!  It's only for one year, since it's an unfinished term.   12 speakers, one each month.

Hmmm - cons - well, there's only one:  it will chip into my sewing time...

guess I will just have to sleep a little less............

sleep is overrated anyway.

Kate









1 comment:

The Quilting Elf said...

Oh my! What an arm will do when you are not watching it closely ... but you will have great fun with this new task and meet some great guests to your guild. Maybe even lead to some judging opportunities?? Hope you blog about your speakers.

PS No guinea pig pets for George - maybe a toy mouse to munch on - too funny ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...