Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

In the Depths of Your Stash...

What lies in the deepest area of your stash???? 

For me, it's several boxes of denim................ lots and lots and lots of denim...

Six years ago, Cone Mills in North Carolina donated 20 plus boxes of denim to the Project Linus group in Greensboro, NC.

Being an overachiever, I took four gigantic , HEAVY boxes of denim.   It was mostly jeans legs, which I learned Cone uses as sales samples of various shades of denim... who knew!!  Most had been prewashed, and was nice and soft - perfect for picnic or teen quilts...  I've gotten real good at 'hybrids' - part cotton, part denim - snuggy, warm, but not too heavy.

One box, though , was denim yardage - heavy duty stuff... not good for quilts unless it was washed many times... so I shut it up and put it DEEP IN THE CLOSET.

Then we moved to New York - opened the box - shut it up, and put it DEEP IN THE CLOSET.

Then we moved to California - opened the box - shut it up, and put it DEEP IN THE GARAGE.

Well - a few weeks ago I decided enough already - and put it on Freecycle...

Enter my neighbor Barbara!!!!  She claimed it , and her wonderful group of friends made these:


They are denim tote bags - for laundry, or clothes, or "stuff".. 

It turns out that foster children often have to move from home to home, and they have to take what they own in a trash bag............a trash bag...........makes me shudder , to think what that does to their self-esteem, to have only a trash bag to put your possessions in.

Well, now 24 foster children have a study, denim bag with a lovely drawstring, for their "stuff"..
These women are fabulous.... and thank you, Cone Mills...

til tomorrow, when I have a Quilty Finish to share;;;

Kate











4 comments:

Jan Maree said...

I think that is a wonderful way to use up all that denim - what a great cause!

Vicki W said...

That's a perfect use for the denim!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.
cindy

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, how wonderful! I love it.

The deepest darkest recesses of my stash has my mother's cheap Walmart cottons and some stuff I hoarded from the 80's when I hated sewing but needed to make clothes for a growing little girl!

glen in Louisiana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...